Dappled




The challenge on Daily Paintworks this week was: paint in the style of your favorite artist. Well, I don't have "a" favorite artist, but I adore Jackson Pollock. Our styles couldn't be more different, but I love his work. There is such an energy and verve!

I've never tried to paint in his style before, and I discovered it's very difficult. I'm not displeased with it, but I never quite achieved what I was looking for. For one thing, I worked on a 9x12 inch canvas, and his were more like 9x12 FEET. It makes a difference—the physicality of laying the paint is entirely different. I've seen film of him working, and he moves around the canvas, approaching it from different sides and different altitudes, whereas I worked from the same position on a drawing board. He created a whole body piece; mine was all in the wrist :) Pollock is an artist whose work inspires people to say "My kid could paint that!" I can tell you, "No they can't." You may not like Pollock's art, but there is no question he is working deliberately and intently.

This painting is based on a landscape I've been working on recently. I can't find quite the approach I want, and I've tried a couple different things. This one might be my favorite.

Comments

  1. I love the contrast and brightness you have achieved
    there is definitely way more to abstract then people give it credit for

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments - thanks for your feedback!

Popular Posts