Tippy Tuesday: Clean Skies

It's Tippy Tuesday! A collection of tips I've gained through experience or learned from other artists.

Sky Brushes!

I've been meaning to do this for FOREVER.

I hate getting mucky-looking skies because I haven't cleaned my brush enough. That little bit of green or brown or purple leaks out into the nice, fresh, cobalt blue or turquoise I'm using for the sky. Especially if I use any medium or Liquin with the sky color, it wicks the old paint right into the new.

First I tried disciplining myself to take the time to clean the brush thoroughly, but it's not a practical strategy. It just takes too long to get a brush completely clean, and I'm not that patient.

Then I tried dedicating a specific brush to skies, which was a step in the right direction, but of course I kept overlooking which one to use, and used whatever was in my hand. Dirty skies.

Finally, I wrapped some white drafting tape around a couple brand-new brushes, to designate them as sky-only. I can feel the tape when I pick it up, as well as see it (I can't avoid seeing it...) so I have hopes that this time I'll keep them separate, and have clean skies!

The next step is probably designating brushes for light/dark, warm/cool, etc. I don't know if I'll ever be that organized.

Also, I've decided that "Tippy Tuesday" is pretty silly. From here on out, "Tuesday Tips." Much more dignified.

FYI, those are Silver Bristlon Flats, #2 and #6.  

Comments

Popular Posts