Igor


6" x 6"
oil on hardboard

Pronounced Eye-gore.

DPW's recent challenge "Up Close Animal" was really fortuitous timing. I've been wanting to paint Igor for a while, especially after seeing so many beautiful pet portraits on DPW. But I didn't really know how to approach it; I don't think I've ever painted an animal before - at least not since I was 11 and drew endless sketches of horses.

Cropping the image very closely made it seem less intimidating - there was so much less of him to deal with :)

I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. It's not as painterly as I'd like, but I think I caught his expression perfectly. At one glance he looks serene; the next time you look you can see the crazy. Depends how the light hits him. That's pretty much how he is in real life. Psychotic, possibly sociopathic.

Typical cat.

Comments

  1. Saw this painting on DPW which brought me to your wonderful Blog. I look forward to following you. Loved you post on 50 Starts. I may have to try that too.
    Cheers!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! I followed you to your blog, and I LOVE that abstract skyscape series.

      Delete
  2. This post is very interesting and it also helpful for us. liking stuff like this blog as well as this has now given me Some inspiration To succeed, ever so Appreciate it.
    Continue Reading.....

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts