50 Starts - Start 24, mountains


This was one of the Daily Paintworks Challenges. I decided to do it as a study, not a finished painting.

I'm in the middle of re-reading Kevin Macpherson's excellent "Fill your oil paintings with light and color." One of the step-by-steps he shows is a not-dissimilar mountain view, so I decided to follow his methodology.

1. Basic sketch - thinned yellow ochre.



2. Colorful shadows. I had a hard time telling, from the photo, what was actually in shadow and what was just a cool color. I guessed a lot.



3. Fill in the lights. Same as above - best guess. I punched up the color quite a lot from the photo, which was almost monotone.



4. Adjustments, corrections, final details. I departed ways from Macpherson when I brought in that cerulean blue for the sky - got tired of fiddling around with ultramarine and yellow, it never looked right.


I think it came out really well, and I'll very likely do it again in a larger size.

- - - -  see the finished painting here.

Comments

Popular Posts