Contagious


7"x5", oil

Not for sale. You can view this painting here.

I really enjoyed painting this one! Of course, this is my cat Igor—caught in the middle of a yawn. He looks like some sort of demonic monster, but it was just a perfect moment in time.

This was my submission to the Make it Move challenge. I don't know whether I achieved a sense of movement, but it was good for me trying out something new. I'm really pleased with the looseness and spontaneity of the brushstrokes (at least, in some areas). In a few places, I smeared the paint with my finger. Which is not a recommendation; paint is full of horrible ingredients and you shouldn't get it on your skin.

And by the way, there used to be another paragraph here, which Igor deleted by walking across the trackpad as I was editing. I don't remember what it was supposed to say.

Oh wait, I remember now—I titled it "Contagious" because yawns are so contagious, and also because he looks like he might be rabid.

Comments

  1. Marla, This is FABULOUS! You certainly captured movement. He looks like he is ready to attack.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am so happy with the way this came out. You know I'm always trying to "loosen up," and I think I made a lot of progress in that direction. It's my absolute favorite photo of him because he looks so bizarre in it. Half ferocious, half ridiculous. Like the one where he's half-blinking one eye. Cats...

      Delete
  2. It is so true that yawns are contagious, just read a book that contains the word 'yawn' and you will see it for yourself. I am actually yawning right now! I love this painting, especially with all of the luscious colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Marla..
    wrote another comment, but it kinda disapeared...
    I really like this painting of yours and also your latest entry to The Virtual Paintout challenge.
    I especially like your ability to create light in your paintings. Is something I still have to learn.
    Thank you very much for stopping at my blog and for the nice, encouraging words. I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job on this challenge! I love the color and composition on this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marla, what wonderful use of contrasting color to really add depth to your painting. I think your effort to loosen up on the brush strokes is highly successful!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Claudia and Dana! Now if I can just bring this looseness to my landscapes...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments - thanks for your feedback!

Popular Posts