Starsky and Hutch


8" x 10"
oil on panel

You can view or purchase this painting here.

So this was a somewhat different approach for me. I decided to start with a strong line drawing, and let the lines be part of the finished piece. For some reason that now eludes me, I sketched with a red Sharpie. I'm not sure what I think about it. The ink bled through the paint, no matter how many layers. Some parts seem kind of cool, some kind of cartoony.

What I originally liked about the scene was the yellow truck against the cool fence with leaf shadows, but gradually that car in the alley seemed important. I don't know the model, it might have been a Mustang—it was some sort of groovy car from the late 1960s/early 1970s, the kind police detectives drove around in. Hence the title.

The original sketch. From one of my Commuter Art photos.

The sunlit areas.

The shadows.

Sky and shadowed trees. Here I decide the trash bin behind the groovy car is just distracting, and I paint over it.




Comments

  1. I like the red. I never thought of using a Sharpie. Looks like it was fun to do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments - thanks for your feedback!

Popular Posts