50 Starts - Start 18, Cityscape

This was very challenging! I'm using a photo from the now-defunct Different Strokes from Different Folks website. It's cropped from a much larger scene.

Except for the couple buildings in the foreground, everything was in shadow. Shadows are cool. But all the buildings were constructed of warm-colored materials... paradox! Or is that a dilemma? I dunno. Anyway:

I ended up with a lot of neutrals and grayish tones, which worked out just right.

Values and temperatures sketch:


Color correction:


That horizontal darkish shape just below center is a little darker than it should have been, and the sky too light. After trying to correct it five or six times I had so much paint on that poor little piece of paper I just couldn't take it any further.

Click the "50 starts" label underneath this post to see other posts in this category.

Comments

Popular Posts